Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Day 2: Still not enough time in the day...

Yesterday, I plans to be productive - really, I did. I'm finding out, however, that life post-graduation is not that much different from my college life in terms of the amount of discipline required. I am constantly looking for ways to be productive, or, at least, to feel productive. And I'm also very good at procrastinating by substitution of (in my mind at the time) an equally important task: I tell myself, "No, you can't practice now, because you first need to make your bed, do the laundry, and do errands." While I'm out "getting things done," I realize I must eventually return home to do the tedious, not always rewarding task of practicing pieces I know well and have sung so many times that I would rather do almost anything else. Also, a creepy little voice, that in my mind sounds exactly like the evil queen from Snow White - when she's transformed into the old witch - says "But maybe you suck. Maybe you have no business singing at all. Ever think of that?!" At this moment I decide to buy the tie-dye kit. I mean, I've never tie-dyed before, and there's no time like the present, right? Then, by the end of the day, I am scolding myself, telling myself, "You've got to stop this! Focus! You're never going to accomplish anything this way!" Then the voices of my mentors come in: I breathe, I tell myself I am a capable person, that it is good to have goals even if you don't reach them by the deadline, that I will begin again tomorrow. And maybe have tie-dyed socks by the end of the day.