Saturday, June 12, 2010

Bad timing...

I am moving in 5 days, to a much bigger city than I have ever lived in before! It's exciting, nerve-wracking, all of the above. Now that I know when and where I am moving, I have been applying for jobs. What a joy. I am really getting tired of taking those personality tests - you know, the ones that involve at least 45 minutes of multiple choice questions like, "'I am a robot.' Check one answer: strongly agree, agree, neither agree nor disagree..." The questions are often poorly worded, so that I am not sure which answer to choose. I truly feel I would have greater success of making a good first impression if I spoke to a human being, which is what I will have to do if none of these online applications yield any prospects. It is extremely difficult to accurately represent oneself when one is limited to multiple choice answers.

Yesterday, I began researching arts organizations and theaters in my area, only to find out that I missed auditions for a paid opera chorus position by exactly one week. I really should relax though: I've only been actively looking for jobs in my new city for a few days. Plus, it's the weekend, and most employers probably won't get back to me until Monday at the earliest. So, it's back to sorting, organizing, and packing for the big move. 5 days!