Thursday, September 2, 2010

Play me, I'm yours...

So there's this artist, Luke Jerram, who's been touring around the world with his decorated pianos since 2008. Right now, there are 19 pianos scattered around downtown San Jose. They all have the phrase, "Play me, I'm yours" written on them, and there's a website:
http://www.streetpianos.com/sanjose2010/, which serves as a place people can upload photos and video documenting their street piano-playing experience. Last night the alto section of The Choral Project (of which I am a member) held a sectional rehearsal at one of these outdoor pianos. Throughout the course of the evening, we met many interesting people. First, a young woman walked up and joined us in singing a choral piece, saying she had sung it previously in a local choir. Then, some of the men from The Choral Project happened to be walking down the street and joined us on "Irish Blessing." Things really started to get out of control (in a good way!) when two African American men started rocking out to our spiritual, "Let Me Fly." "That's one heck of a piano player!" one of them said. Our section leader/ accompanist led us in singing happy birthday to our videographer (yes, this is on video somewhere out there!) and some blues improv, which ended in me making up lyrics that ended like this: "It's my birthday, I'm gonna shout it real loud/ Yes, it's my birthday, and I'm freakin' proud!" Passersby who saw us wailing like that must have assumed we were drunk. The most magical part of the night happened when we were about to leave: A man dressed in dirty clothes came up to us and asked if any of us played piano. Before we knew it, we were learning the lyrics to his own composition! What did I learn? The world can often seem like a cold and lonely place, especially when people pass eachother on the street without saying hello. I am guilty of this: I am a woman in a strange city and I don't want to get killed. At the same time, "Play me I'm yours" has taught me that music lovers are everywhere, and all we need is something in common - like our love for music - to help us connect.